Preserved lemons are a cured condiment that is commonly used in Middle Eastern and African cuisine. They are cured simply in a salt brine and can come in all shapes and sizes depending on the culinary applications. Sometimes, home cooks and chefs get creative and add a variety of different spices to give their preserved lemons a unique flavor profile. Something to call their very own.
I love preserved lemons and use them in almost everything from stews to soups to even stir-fries. They are extremely versatile these days, not just in Middle Eastern or African dishes. Their lemony flavor is very intense but surprisingly accessible for the typical palate, from the long curing period and I get the full nutritional benefits by consuming the entire fruit from the skin to pulp.
Lemons contain a huge amount of vitamin C and flavonoids, which makes them great natural disinfectants. That’s why you see them being used a lot in cleaning products. And they can “clean” your body of toxins too! If you need more reasons to add more lemons to your diet, check the quick list below:
- Lemons contain a good amount of calcium and therefore helps strengthen and support healthy bones and teeth which preventing rickets.
- Lemons are also a good source of potassium and are essential in balancing the sodium content in our bodies, thereby promoting a healthy circulation of blood and oxygen in our bodies to support a healthy heart, brain and nervous system.
- Lemons (and other citrus fruits such as oranges) are known to soothe heartburn or occasional nausea or acid reflux.
- Lemons with garlic have been used as a long time home remedy to detox and support a healthy liver.
- And who doesn’t know to drink lots of honey lemon water to get rid of a nasty cold?
Adding lemons (fresh or preserved) to your diet is a no-brainer. This preserved lemons recipe is extremely easy to make, even for the novice in the kitchen and they make perfect handmade holiday gifts! Why spend money to buy ready-made ones?
Lemons are a disease fight fruit! Check out my article called Lemons – the Miracle fruit for insights on its many health benefits.